Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X
Elektroda.com

How to check when the air conditioning needs to be topped up?

slaw777 17991 27
This content has been translated flag-pl » flag-en View the original version here.
  • #1
    slaw777
    Level 11  
    Witam. Is it possible to check the air-conditioning performance of the SKODA OCTAVIA 1.9 TDI 110 HP 2000 r. Maybe there is some simple way to check it without going to the service?
  • #2
    miroix
    Level 20  
    In the heat, I touch the grid with my tongue when it freezes, it means that it works ... such a joke ...
    What do you mean efficiency, what does not work as well as you would like to ask, clogged filters little refrigerant not closing the air supply flap, which mixes warm and cold and the cooling efficiency drops many factors, etc., etc.
    replace filters, check air vents, check the amount of refrigerant, possibly finish it, but rather a workshop.
  • #3
    Maly
    Level 32  
    How it works means there is a factor. Sometimes when you turn off the air conditioning, you can hear hissing from the grilles - it is a symptom of the factor disappearing
  • #4
    helmud7543
    Level 43  
    The temperature from the grilles should not exceed 8 degrees at idle. In some systems, a compressor hum is a symptom of refrigerant deficiency. You can also measure the working pressure at the service point. I recommend a check-up every several months.
  • #5
    jack63
    Level 43  
    helmud7543 wrote:
    The temperature from the grilles should not exceed 8 degrees

    It depends at which temperature of the air inlet to the evaporator. More relevant is the temperature difference between inlet and outlet at outdoor temp. above 20 oC.
    In fact, it is impossible to quantify the amount of refrigerant in the system without recovering and weighing it.
    Especially if the loss is small.
    You just have to go regularly for inspections to a decent service and not to, for example, a vulcanizer ...
  • #6
    slaw777
    Level 11  
    jack63 wrote:
    In fact, it is impossible to quantify the amount of refrigerant in the system without recovering and weighing it.


    Maybe I said, I do not care what amount of factor is in the system, but if there is still a factor in the system, I will have to drive to the workshop. Is this air conditioning element next to the turbine a dehydrator? Because I have a glued inlet in it, I checked it after gluing, it is tight, so I would just fill the air conditioning.

    miroix wrote:
    replace filters check vents

    You mean the cabin filter? Are there any other filters out there?
  • #7
    jack63
    Level 43  
    slaw777 wrote:
    Maybe I said, I do not care what amount of factor is in the system, but if there is still a factor in the system, I will have to drive to the workshop.

    I don't understand. What do you mean. I wrote clearly that there is no other method to 100% check the amount of refrigerant in the system. As the device works ok, it can be presumed that the amount of refrigerant is at the moment sufficient . What will happen in a week, it is not known ...
    slaw777 wrote:
    Is this carcass air conditioning component next to the turbine a dehydrator? because I have a glued inlet in it, I checked it is tight after gluing, so I would just fill the air conditioning.

    Give me a photo. Especially this gluing and write how much time the layout is open?
    How did you check for leaks?
  • #8
    slaw777
    Level 11  
    The system was not open, but when I wanted to remove the side cover, it started to hiss, I turned the spigot slightly and the hissing subsided, I sealed it with a plastic mass resistant to vibrations and temperature, I don't remember the name of this glue, I know it was unprofessional repair, but I wanted so for do it for a while and I made such a makeshift.
    It was about the dryer, the next time I visit the workshop I will replace it, as I read, it needs to be replaced every 2 years, but who of the mechanics replaces it, they only finish the factor and that's it.
    I do not have a photo of the dehumidifier, because I do not have access to the sewer.
  • #9
    Novile
    Level 34  
    helmud7543 wrote:
    You can also measure the working pressure at the service point.
    Everything is here and to the point. I guess what these service valves on both sides of the system are for - right?
  • #10
    jack63
    Level 43  
    Novile wrote:
    Everything is here and to the point. I guess what these service valves on both sides of the system are for - right?

    They are for something ...
    However, if you think that thanks to the pressure measurements you will determine the current amount of the factor, then you are wrong.
  • #11
    andrzej20001
    Level 43  
    Maly wrote:
    when you turn off the air-conditioning, you can hear hissing from the grilles - it is a symptom of the decay of the factor
    no, the expansion nozzle sprays the gas and therefore hisses, normal symptom e.g. passat, audi
  • #12
    Maly
    Level 32  
    Somehow I did not pay attention to it before, but when the factor started to be missing, then yes - maybe because it started to cool less and I started looking for the cause
  • #13
    Chris_W

    Level 38  
    If you want to check if the air conditioning works, open the hood, turn on the air conditioning, wait a few minutes and check the pipes going to the compressor - one is to be cold, the other is hot - this is a sufficient test at home. If both have the same temperature - then go to the service, because either there is no refrigerant or the compressor is not working.
  • #14
    slaw777
    Level 11  
    Chris_W wrote:
    If you want to check if the air conditioning works, open the hood, turn on the air conditioning, wait a few minutes and check the pipes going to the compressor - one is to be cold, the other is hot - this is a sufficient test at home.


    ok, thanks a lot for the information, I will check it.
  • #15
    Novile
    Level 34  
    jack63 wrote:
    However, if you think that thanks to the pressure measurements you will determine the current amount of the factor, then you are wrong.
    Jacek, what do I care about the amount of factor in the system? And is that you, an old cooler, are you "throwing me the kitty"? :)
    You know very well that when the pressures "play" on both sides of the system, everything is OK.
    Not a different option. Everyone who knows how it works knows that 2 + 2 = 4 and the same is here- two valves + two manometers = reliable diagnosis. And the jqk system is operational, the amount of factor is appropriate. And when the system is operational, it is tight, and when it is tight, it does not need to be refilled. It's just simple logic! And one more thing, who can do formula transformations (in mathematics or physics) knows that it doesn't matter what the value of a, b, c, x, y, z, h is. Values are substituted at the end when we have a transformed and derived formula. Even before substituting to a formula in physics, we check this formula derived from the units themselves (we substitute units from the SI system) and if the unit agrees, then ONLY we substitute the numerical values. The same here, it does not matter the amount of the factor, if the system is working properly, the factor is as much as needed.
    You have to act from a different side and not combine the weights of the factor.
    Chris_W wrote:
    If you want to check if the air conditioning works, open the hood, turn on the air conditioning, wait a few minutes and check the pipes going to the compressor - one is to be cold, the other is hot - this is a sufficient test at home. If both have the same temperature - then go to the service, because either there is no refrigerant or the compressor is not working.
    Well, what will be air in the system instead of the buddy?
    Will the discharge tube be hot and the suction tube cool?
  • #16
    kortyleski
    Level 43  
    Novile wrote:
    and what will be like in the system will be air instead of the medium

    If there is air, it means that there is a hole in the system. So the atmospheric pressure in the system. The pressure switch will not allow the compressor to start and the heat pipe will not do ...
  • #17
    Chris_W

    Level 38  
    Novile wrote:

    Chris_W wrote:
    If you want to check if the air conditioning works, open the hood, turn on the air conditioning, wait a few minutes and check the pipes going to the compressor - one is to be cold, the other is hot - this is a sufficient test at home. If both have the same temperature - then go to the service, because either there is no refrigerant or the compressor is not working.
    Well, what will be air in the system instead of the buddy?
    Will the discharge tube be hot and the suction tube cool?

    You combine ;)
    In this case, I will easily make you the conditions that you will think that you are low on gas ;) I could make you think that there is 2x too much ;) You don't know the working point because you only look at the pressure.
    Jack is right, pressures are not everything, once you measure the pressure you have to measure the temperature to calculate superheat or subcooling.
    If there is no hot and cold tube, it means nothing less than no or little cooling.
  • #18
    Novile
    Level 34  
    Okay, okay Chris_w, don't be so fast. I know that gases not only undergo isobaric changes. Besides, what you are proposing is already a "provocation" and not the conditions of normal work. Anyone who has an understanding of the basics of physics knows that all observations and experiments should be carried out at room temperature, i.e. the conditions should be relatively neutral and not having a significant impact on the results. But I'll even be happy to find out what you mean here, what are you going to manipulate here?
  • #19
    pawlik118
    Level 30  
    If the air conditioning is cooling it means that the factor is there. If it is not enough, then usually you can hear a noise in the evaporator (in the car) - similar to water overflow. If there is a lot of factor, there should be no noise.
  • #20
    jack63
    Level 43  
    Novile wrote:
    I know that gases undergo not only isobaric changes.

    Novile wrote:
    Not a different option. Everyone who knows how it works knows that 2 + 2 = 4 and the same is here - two valves + two manometers = reliable diagnosis.

    Novile wrote:
    You have to act from a different side and not combine the weights of the factor.

    And here is the most beautiful "flower"
    Novile wrote:
    The same here, it does not matter the amount of the factor, if the system is working properly, the factor is as much as needed.

    If the system is operational, why connect the pressure gauges ???
    Anyway, you need to have a license or at least a course. Vulcanizers also have the latter .... You can buy "paper" ...
    Question. How can I tell if the circuit is OK ???
    Chris_W gave a simple, so to speak, peasant way. Something has to be warm / hot and something cold. For starters, this method is very fast and good. I use it myself. You can assess the situation as zero-one in a few moments. It doesn't work and it's good .... start to diagnosis.
    Buddy Novile. You still have to study a lot. Above all, humility to your knowledge. Believe it. Refrigeration can "straighten" a good professional.
    kortyleski wrote:
    If there is air, it means that there is a hole in the system. So the atmospheric pressure in the system.

    And why the hole and the atmospheric pressure, i.e. zero on the manometers ???
    You do not consider the vulcanizer with the machine ???
    Novile wrote:
    Anyone who has an understanding of the basics of physics knows that all observations and experiments should be carried out at room temperature, i.e. the conditions should be relatively neutral and not having a significant impact on the results

    This shows that you would not be able to determine the amount of the factor on the basis of the pressure measurement, because, as I wrote, it is not possible, but even a significant loss of it.
  • #21
    kortyleski
    Level 43  
    jack63 wrote:
    why the hole and atmospheric pressure, i.e. zero on the manometers ???
    You do not consider the vulcanizer with the machine ???

    Not. What would he do? Fill the air? There will be enough trouble with butane combiners.
  • #22
    Novile
    Level 34  
    jack63 wrote:
    If the system is operational, why connect the pressure gauges ???
    In order to see what pressures it works at.
    jack63 wrote:
    Anyway, you need to have a license or at least a course.
    I guess you are under the influence and if it is not chemicals, then EU regulations. I will answer you -Nothing threatens me because I can connect as much as I want and where I want. And no one has anything to do with it.
    jack63 wrote:
    Question. How can I tell if the circuit is OK ???
    Chris_W gave a simple, so to speak, peasant way. Something has to be warm / hot and something cold. For starters, this method is very fast and good. I use it myself. You can assess the situation as zero-one in a few moments. It doesn't work and it's good .... start to diagnosis.
    It is operational, the pressures are to have specific values and cold air is supposed to blow from the "holes". There is no secret here. This is a stupid and primitive system based on the work of a gas that changes its state of aggregation and needs heat (i.e. energy). It absorbs this heat on the evaporator and gives it back on the condenser, because it is forced by the high pressure generated by the compressor. But a big secret! :)
    jack63 wrote:
    Buddy Novile. You still have to study a lot.
    Of course, I'm not saying that I don't have to. What is this
    jack63 wrote:
    Chris_W gave a simple, so to speak, peasant way.
    I am not saying that this method is bad, because I check it myself, I just asked a trick question and my friend corticals he answered well, for which he got a plus from me (I mean this pressure switch, in fact it will not turn on at low).
    And let me tell you this - when it blows cold, the pressures are good, the compressor does not mechanically "roar", then I don't care how much refrigerant is there. Since all the symptoms indicate that the "patient is healthy" why treat him? I know that in Poland every "doctor" thinks differently (which is surprising to me) and you will not get out of any of them without a file of prescriptions that will harm you more than help you, but well - the specificity of this country.
  • #23
    Chris_W

    Level 38  
    Novile wrote:
    jack63 wrote:
    If the system is operational, why connect the pressure gauges ???
    In order to see what pressures it works at.

    And once you see the pressure, what will you do with this information? You will be more or less at the same point as after checking the temperature of the tubes with your hand - because these pressures will approximately correspond to these temperatures (there is proportionality and not isobaric at all, which you wrote something about earlier, only isochoric).
    Quote:

    jack63 wrote:
    Anyway, you need to have a license or at least a course.
    I guess you are under the influence and if it is not chemicals, then EU regulations. I will answer you -Nothing threatens me because I can connect as much as I want and where I want. And no one has anything to do with it.

    It is not known what is the risk in practice (no one is chasing it) - in theory you are threatened with a fine for work without certification. PLN 600-3000 and possibly a fine for incorrect handling of the factor PLN 4000-10000 (it is difficult to prove, so improbable). In general, companies do not risk and most have obtained certificates.

    Quote:

    And let me tell you this - when it blows cold, the pressures are good, the compressor does not mechanically "roar", then I don't care how much refrigerant is there. Since all the symptoms indicate that the "patient is healthy" why treat him?

    Why do you need these pressures, how do you use them to make sure that there are any pressures at all, knowledge about the pressures in the system is the same as knowing about the temperatures in the system - and you don't need expensive pressure gauges - where the pipe is hot, you will have high pressure, and where it is cold there is low - the proportion of temperatures will be the same as the proportion of pressures - during the system operation, of course.
  • #24
    jack63
    Level 43  
    Chris_W wrote:
    once you see the pressure, what will you do with this information?

    This question is at the heart of the matter! It is not difficult to measure the pressure, although some "manage" to let the air in, but the trick is to interpret the measurement result !!!
    As wise people from the Electrode have repeatedly written, the main measuring device is the human brain, and in fact its work, i.e. the analysis of the measurement result.
    For me or Chris_W, organoleptic measurement may be enough, and most of the finishers will not be helped by pressure gauges or a machine for thousands of thick ...
    Novile wrote:
    I guess you are under the influence and if it is not chemicals, then EU regulations. I will answer you -Nothing threatens me because I can connect as much as I want and where I want. And no one has anything to do with it.

    You just reported yourself ... If some "good" neighbor or client hits you, you will find out what you are allowed and what is not ...
    For now, I am reporting to the moderator. I wonder what he will do?

    Added after 9 [minutes]:

    kortyleski wrote:
    What would he do? Fill the air? There will be enough trouble with butane combiners.

    What trouble do you have with these combiners?
    Besides, what's the difference when the machine recovers air or butane from the customer's system?
    And so you "put" this shit on the next ...
    Typical thinking of the loader. Butane is fine, and the air is otherwise awful.
  • #25
    kortyleski
    Level 43  
    jack63 wrote:
    What trouble do you have with these combiners?
    Besides, what's the difference when the machine recovers air or butane from the customer's system?
    And so you "put" this shit on the next ...
    The typical thinking of the loader. Butane is fine and the air is good.

    Oh man. When my client comes to repair because the air conditioner is not working, there is no problem. I fasten the clocks, I see zero, it goes nitrogen and looking for a hole. It is worse if the air conditioner works and other service activities force the system to be unsealed. And I don't know what I'm going to pull away.
  • #26
    jack63
    Level 43  
    kortyleski wrote:
    If my client comes to repair because the air conditioner is not working, there is no problem. I fasten the clocks, I see zero, it goes nitrogen and looking for a hole.

    And if there is no zero, then what?
    Just out of curiosity, does your machine vacuum after connecting the hoses and before opening the valve in the quick coupler?
    kortyleski wrote:
    It is worse if the air conditioner works and other service activities force the system to be unsealed. And I don't know what I'm going to pull away.

    You never know what you're "pulling". Therefore, it should return to the customer, without additional air and other muck, of course, and not mix with what the previous customer left ...
    Then it doesn't matter what was there. Would like to push to the installation and so it will come back "to mummy".
  • #27
    Novile
    Level 34  
    Chris_W wrote:
    It is not known what is the risk in practice (no one is chasing it) - in theory, you are threatened with a fine for work without certification. PLN 600-3000 and possibly a fine for incorrect handling of the factor PLN 4000-10000 (it is difficult to prove, so improbable). In general, companies do not risk and most have obtained certificates.
    Well, my friend, and I'm not in danger! Because I am "Franek from the garage" and I can laugh at these EU regulations. And it is people like me who make money on the climate. I take the car, I do what everyone else does, such as "I punch the air conditioning", I delete the client PLN 300 and I have all the money for myself. And I have the gas from the latest import from Zdzich, from the trunk, as much as Volodya loaded it into this trunk 2 hours earlier. And those who have a legal company, they will give back 50% of the PLN 300 at once and the rest will be devoured by the costs of electricity, depreciation, indirect taxes, etc. They will be left with a stale margarine roll and their children will have to count on a wonderful meal from the school cafeteria it is their only meal of the day. :)
    After all, we live in a wonderful free country, here if you admit to something, it's "swept", but if you do not admit it, you are above the law.
    kortyleski wrote:
    Worse when it comes to the air conditioner works and other service activities force the system to be unsealed. And I don't know what I'm going to pull away.
    What pumping? I think my friend is joking. What is left alone is enough to open the valve. Well, but my friend has permission to pump out the factor, yes. I do not need one because, by some strange coincidence, there is always no gas in the system. :)
    kortyleski wrote:
    I fasten the clocks, I can see the zero
    And yet, someone here is dialing the clocks except me!
    jack63 wrote:
    If any "good" neighbor or client hits you, you will find out what you are allowed and what is not ...
    Sure, you probably do not know what you are writing or only you know where to call (which does not surprise me at all :) ). In my case, when the power pole falls over, or the car passes by, people do not know where to call. The only numbers are, 112,999,997 people know!
    Jacek, what planet do you live on? And you still feel sorry for me to Moda? And what are you accusing me of, that Mod is supposed to reprimand me? What if I do not comply with the F-Gas Act? Looks like something's up here.
  • #28
    robokop
    VIP Meritorious for electroda.pl
    slaw777 wrote:
    Witam. Is it possible to check the air-conditioning performance of the SKODA OCTAVIA 1.9 TDI 110 HP 2000 r. Maybe there is some simple way to check it without going to the service?
    There is no. Either it works efficiently or it does not work properly. I am closing in mercifully, without awarding writers. Once again, I would like to remind you that this is not a legal forum, but a technical one.