Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

Disk cloning and bad sectors

Magic_moon 4749 14
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    Hello. Gentlemen, I have a little trouble with making a disk clone, because the source disk has bad sectors, and when I try in Acronis True Image I get a message about bad sectors. Of course I have the option to ignore bad sectors, but I think this is a wrong move. So if there is any proven, proven way to make a good 1: 1 copy, I would ask for help.
    Kasek21
    Level 43  
    How badly damaged is this drive?

What does CrystalDiskInfo show?
    Talibanczyk
    Conditionally unlocked
    Magic_moon wrote:
    ..... but it seems to be a wrong move.

Your thinking is wrong - as soon as possible clone the disk "with these errors" Because this may be the beginning of the end of your disk and in a moment you will not be able to clone it at all: / Only after cloning, start playing diagnostics and possible repair.
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    Hello. I post a photo.

krzychupar
    Level 43  
    Make a post-sector backup with the DMDE program to another medium with the same capacity or greater and then reset and remap this disk. After that, re-SMART this drive.
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    Hello . But this old disk goes straight to the trash, I will not play with zeroing etc. Well, unless you have to do this to do cloning?
  • Helpful post
    kokapetyl
    Level 43  
    Magic_moon wrote:
    But this old disk goes straight to the trash, I will not play with zeroing, etc.

The disk is not damaged enough to give it up completely, it can even work as a system disk (after performing the repair procedure)
    Make a copy (try) as your colleague wrote above (under DMDE), and for now you can use the disk as a data store (it is worth checking the access times to sectors and the condition of the disk surface with MHDD in advance)
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    I don't want to play this game. I have a new drive and I just want to do a cloning and just ask for help.
    kokapetyl
    Level 43  
    Magic_moon wrote:
    I have a new drive and I just want to do a cloning and just ask for help.

Answers have already been given, ignore bad sectors, or try another program (DMDE from CD). Do not run on existing system.
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    Ok, but how about those bad sectors? give eg: ignore all and then check pod system account for mistakes? or how? I am asking as a less experienced colleague.
  • Helpful post
    safbot1st
    Level 43  
    Magic_moon wrote:
    when trying to use Acronis True Image, a message about bad sectors appears.

Hopefully you are not clone from the system you are cloning? What error? Such?:
    kokapetyl wrote:
    ignore bad sectors,

This is key advice. You could have just ignored the sector. Perform a file system / system consistency check after cloning.
    SMART despite appearances does not show badsectors, only 1 sector awaiting remap (C5).
    More worried (01) - read errors. It may indicate that the mechanics are "falling" or the surface of the plate is actually not in perfect condition.
    MaRciNoOs
    Level 26  
    I used to copy a sectorally damaged 240 GB disk, which Smart showed about 5000 bad sectors. Windows on that drive wouldn't even get up. I copied the disk sector-wise to the second DMDE program in the demo version ignoring the errors. After inserting the new disk into the computer, the error-fixing console started, they had it easily for 2 or 3 hours but he got up :) later he was working normally.
    Magic_moon

Level 28  
    Hello. I ignored bad sectors, repaired missing system files after cloning and the system works fine. Thank you for your help, gentlemen.