Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

Cable cross section and inverter fault message

633 13
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
  • Level 3  
    Hello forum members.
    I have a question:
    I have had a 22kWp solar installation for a year. I used a YKY 5x10mm2 cable as the AC connection. There are about 80 meters to the box with the meter.
    Solis 20kW inverter.
    The installation has not been operating for several days, because a message appears on the inverter screen suggesting to use a connection with a larger cross-section.
    Allegedly, the cable resistance is too high and the message OV-G-V04 appears on the inverter screen.
    Is it possible that the wire in the ground is damaged? It looks as if it has lost its conductivity ..
    I am asking for a logical answer, best regards.
  • Level 36  
    Was there anything being done around the cable that might have been damaged?
    Connection clamps on both sides checked for play, carbon deposit, etc?
    It would also be good to measure the value of the AC voltage coming to the inverter.
  • Level 3  
    Hello
    I would like to say that nothing was done around the cable and the terminals were checked several times too.
    To clear all my doubts, I went to a friend who also has a Solis inverter. We disassembled his inverter and plugged in mine and ... OV-G-V04 again, I have no doubt it's the inverter's fault.
    I'm talking to the service tomorrow.
    best regards
  • Level 12  
    During the inverter spacer, you did not notice any suspicious discoloration in the vicinity of the power connection? Perhaps that's where the problem lies.
  • Level 3  
    Hello..
    There are no disturbing changes ...
    I need to change something in the settings, but this is the responsibility of the website.
    My installation will be on 02/25. year as it was launched ..
    Thanks greetings.
  • Level 15  
    jedras64 wrote:
    OV-G-V04 appears on the inverter screen

Hello friend.
    This message rather says that the network voltage is too high.
    best regards
  • Level 3  
    Hello
    Regarding the OV-G-V04 message, it says that the voltage in the network is too high, but this is not true, because it is 236-240V.
    The AC cable is also ok. It was checked with a meter each wire separately and one to the other.
    As I mentioned earlier in a friend, it also shows the same (it has the same inverter). The indications are evident that it is an inverter.
    best regards
  • Level 26  
    The inverter may be damaged, the measurement of this circuit would have to be done with a short circuit loop meter, but 22kW at a distance of 80m is a drop above 2% and it is surprising that the inverter did not turn off, maybe you have a decent network there and you are not too far from the destination
  • Level 34  
    jedras64 wrote:
    Regarding the OV-G-V04 message, it says that the voltage in the network is too high, but this is not true, because it is 236-240V.

And where is it measured?
  • Level 24  
    For me, at a distance of 80m there should be at least 5x25mm2 in copper or 5x35mm2 in aluminum, the cable is buried and peace of mind, it would be
  • Moderator of the Technical section
    noja102 wrote:
    For me, at a distance of 80m there should be at least 5x25mm2 in copper or 5x35mm2 in aluminum, the cable is buried and peace of mind, it would be

Get that copper out of your thinking. It is expensive, heavy and completely unnecessary. All normal power industry (without special applications) works on aluminum cables. And it works without any problems.
  • Level 29  
    It is probably a power plant that is not power industry, because you will not find alu cables with us, those that were exchanged for copper a long time ago, in new installations alu is unacceptable on the premises of the plant.
    If after transferring the inverter to a friend the same symptoms, it is known that something is wrong with the equipment of the author of the topic.
    I understand that you did not change anything in the inverter settings and did not play with the service technician? :)
  • Level 28  
    Colleagues, let's not get crazy. About 32 A flows in the cables in the summer in the sun from PV, which is a small value even on aluminum.

At the moment, the production from PV reaches 10% of the maximum power, it does not matter the conductor cross-section (0.32 A / mm2 ;) .
  • Moderator of the Technical section
    lukaszd82 wrote:
    It is probably a power plant is not energy because you will not experience any cables with us

Read to the end and understand. The power plant is not a network, not an installation. And I mentioned explicitly about special applications (that they exist). For example in mines too. However, by far over 90% of the applications are aluminum.