Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X

Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

Homemade replacement for the processor paste

ghost666 24147 48
This content has been translated flag-pl » flag-en View the original version here.
  • #31
    Karaczan
    Level 41  
    Toothpaste is a topic that has been known for a long time.
    There are legends that peanut butter is even better ...

    I used to have a thin layer of tavern instead of paste for a while, and it generally did.
    And I smeared the fan with olive oil :)
  • #32
    spec220
    Level 25  
    siewcu wrote:
    At the moment, you can buy up to PLN 15 of a good thermally conductive paste

    And I use the usual white H everywhere and I don't miss it. I bought more, which would be even cheaper, and lasted longer ... And if there is an unusual application in which a small element with a small surface will give off over 200W of heat, I add the more expensive one with silver, and Nothing else ... And why think about butter or banana. There is always a towot at hand in the event of the W hour. (under normal circumstances, I do not recommend it)
  • #33
    Pawel_P
    Level 12  
    I am surprised no one wrote about the old method of obtaining the paste. I have known it since the 1980s, when it was not possible to buy it. The factory surplus was accumulated from the heat sinks to the box, and the stockpiled in this way was used for the needs. And this is what I have until today, it is always ... and today in the era of electronic scrap, the paste "flows in a stream" ...
    greetings
  • #34
    yogi009
    Level 43  
    Pawel_P wrote:
    The factory surplus was accumulated from the heat sinks to the box, and the stockpiled in this way was used for the needs.


    What do you bring to life with this solidified paste?
  • #35
    Pawel_P
    Level 12  
    It was indeed "dry", but it was also fluid too much ...
  • #36
    Tomek515
    Level 23  
    spec220 wrote:

    And I use the usual white H everywhere and I don't miss it.

    Somewhere I read about this paste that it generally has tragic parameters and that it should not be used for PC processors. I also use it and I think it's ok for simple tasks. I wonder how it would compare with these inventions. When I figure out what it is, I will check it one day.
  • #37
    spec220
    Level 25  
    Tomek515 wrote:
    Somewhere I read about this paste that it generally has tragic parameters and that it should not be used for PC processors

    Heh But I read that excessive spinning of processors is harmful ... Anyway, I have never turned processors personally, because I think that the processor should be selected for the tasks it is to serve, and operated in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, despite the fact that its parameters allow a certain scope of third party liability
  • #38
    marci4
    Level 31  
    I personally recommend Cif. I have already seen a few laptops with the famous lotion to clean everything ;) What's on the minds of these people ....
  • #39
    Krzysztof Kamienski
    Level 43  
    Or maybe silver-mercury amalgam once used by dentists for fillings? For thermal conductivity it guarantees less, for insulation :cry:
  • #40
    spec220
    Level 25  
    marci4 wrote:
    I personally recommend Cif. I have already seen several laptops with the well-known lotion for cleaning everything that is in the heads of these people

    He is "freak" and "fierce", and "rogue", since it looks the same, ie it works the same way. A similar mentality in the world of stimulants ... XD
  • #41
    siewcu
    Level 34  
    spec220 wrote:
    siewcu wrote:
    At the moment, you can buy up to PLN 15 of a good thermally conductive paste

    And I use the usual white H everywhere and I don't miss it. I bought more, which would be even cheaper, and lasted longer ... And if there is an unusual application in which a small element with a small surface will give off over 200W of heat, I add the more expensive one with silver, and Nothing else ... And why think about butter or banana. There is always a towot at hand in the event of the W hour. (under normal circumstances, I do not recommend it)

    And it depends on whether you want to have thermally conductive paste or just smear the processor / chip with something. Even the cheapest brand-name pastes have a much higher conductivity than H-type silicone, because that's what it's called (yes, processor silicone, not thermal paste). Unless the thermal conductivity of 0.88 W / mK is a sufficient result, when the basic pastes have this index at least five times higher - well, the soil is twice as high, the brick is on a similar level ... 10 times more is a bit more expensive paste, the most effective for the market even has 73 W / mK (and that's what I used, which is why the fan in my laptop is blowing all the time).
  • #42
    spec220
    Level 25  
    siewcu wrote:
    Unless the thermal conductivity of 0.88 W / mK is a sufficient result

    It depends on what processor and what power. For example, processors with quite a large thermal contact surface work under the AM2, AM3 sockets. (I have one) In other cases, i.e. I wrote earlier, I use silver-based paste. (it all depends on the need) In my case, the difference is really imperceptible. However, the purchased radiator (not the one included with the processor) + better cooling of the box gave a lot. :)
  • #43
    User removed account
    Level 1  
  • #44
    ghost666
    Translator, editor
    odalladoalla wrote:
    Krzysztof Kamienski wrote:
    Or maybe silver-mercury amalgam once used by dentists for fillings? For thermal conductivity it guarantees less, for insulation :cry:

    Probably not. It is eager to create eutectic alloys also with copper, and also has a "positive coefficient of thermal expansion". Maybe in a normal situation it would not break the core, but if someone twists the "screws" on the noise and fires the Prime, it may be a surprise. I tried a Gal + "something" -term alloy :D Unfortunately, it also "etched" into the copper and, surprisingly, the wafer (the surface of the core) had blooms that could not be removed with isopropanol. The temperatures were 2 degrees lower than in the "silver paste" but the risk of "short-circuit beads" was serious. The excess liquid metal squeezes out with a good fit.


    There are these types of eutectic pastes:

  • #45
    siewcu
    Level 34  
    I put it on the laptop, unfortunately I did not notice the temperature drop :( but this is the fault of the cooling system that simply does not work.
  • #46
    User removed account
    Level 1  
  • #47
    siewcu
    Level 34  
    I do not hold the laptop on my lap and I will not take the case off, because it holds the battery - it goes down as a whole. In addition, I have a larger battery anyway, so the laptop is placed on a stand ;) And he is standing on something all the time, he has not seen the desk for a long time.
  • #48
    zasadzkas
    Level 9  
    As a replacement for the paste, I use Hipol oil + black powder formed after the evaporation of colloidal silver.
  • #49
    elektryku5
    Level 39  
    There was mention of a paste from old transistors, I wonder what it is and what the transistors were lubricated in the old days, because, for example, in Unitra equipment I encountered a transparent substance.