Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X

Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

HDD vs SSD - we measured the power consumption.

TechEkspert 83001 41
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
    TechEkspert
    Editor
    It also caught my attention, perhaps apart from the logic of the disk, the energy is consumed by the HDD head positioning coil, which has to perform positioning, regardless of whether there is a read or write occurrence, it may confirm an increase in energy consumption during searching, i.e. an extreme case of intensive operation of the for some disks, eg WD RE4 2TB, the search resulted in a significant increase in current consumption in the 12V branch - positioning coil?, and intensive sequential write / read in the 5V branch - logic?).
    freebsd
    Level 39  
    TechEkspert wrote:
    which must perform positioning, regardless of whether there is writing or reading, this can confirm an increase in energy consumption during searching, i.e. an extreme case of intense work of the positioning mechanism

I have similar thoughts.

TechEkspert wrote:
    interestingly, for some drives, e.g. WD RE4 2TB, the search resulted in a significant increase in current consumption in the 12V branch - positioning coil

Higher voltage -> greater force? (and lower currents to control by the way?) This disk is supposed to be fast, maybe it's one of its secrets? :-)
    amadeusrecords
    Level 2  
    Respect!
    I am interested in the short moment of power consumption when switching on the disk. This is probably a very increased consumption for a very short period of time.
    Well, I deal with sound recording and use the RME UFX interface. It has the additional option of connecting a USB flash drive as a parallel recording system. Unfortunately, the very slow transfer puts into question the recordings with the use of very many traces, there are transmission errors.
    Contrary to my destiny, I used a 2.5 HDD for this, until after 4 years the interface power supply crashed when turned on.
    Now I'm thinking about using an SSD there, but I'm still afraid of repeating the situation.

Best wishes,
    Tomasz Lida
    TechEkspert
    Editor
    When starting, hard drives can consume more electricity when, for example, they unscrew the plates,
    large 3.5 "drives with multiple platters could even be configured to slowly unscrew platters,
    it mattered when, for example, the matrix started up with 24 hard drives.

In smart there was even an error counter called "buzzing" and it concerned a problem with starting the platter drive, it could be caused by problems with the power supply, with the drive itself.

For mechanical drives, you can think of an external power supply, e.g. from a power bank.

In the case of SSDs, I did not notice such a problem, interestingly there are miniature SSDs with probably a native USB interface, unfortunately they are quite expensive https://www.komputronik.pl/product/546363/adata-sd700-256gb-ssd-zolty .html

You can also look for a few manufacturers of flash drives with SLC memories, they should provide good write speeds:
    https://www.komputronik.pl/search/category/1?query=pendrive%20SLC
    amadeusrecords
    Level 2  
    Thank you very much and regards! :-)
    amadeusrecords
    Level 2  
    Thank you very much for inviting me :-)
    Regards!
    Tomasz Lida
    True_Brujah
    Level 12  
    As you can see, it all depends on the hard drive and its production date. I have such an invention of the Samsung MZ-5PA064A SSD. It clearly says 5V 1.6A. I wonder how it would come out with the measurements.
    TechEkspert
    Editor
    @True_Brujah high current, are you able to test it in practice?
    True_Brujah
    Level 12  
    At the moment I have measured the current on 2 disks and it does not look so rosy.

Test computer with SATA II connector (unfortunately I had nothing else at hand)

SSD Samsung 470 64GB (SATA 3.0Gbps)
    Sequential Write: 0.488A
    Sequential read: 0.304A

SSD PNY CS900 120GB SATA III (6Gbps)
    Sequential Write: 0.160A
    Sequential read: 0.149A

There is information from the data on the disks:
    PNY 5V 1A
    Samsung 5V 1.6A

------------------------------------- Little Update ----------- --------------------------
    SATA III test computer

Idle: 0.050A
    Sequential Write: 0.505A
    Sequential read: 0.343A

Samsung 850 EVO
    Idle: 0.167A (system disk, that's probably why the consumption is so high)
    Sequential Write: 0.361A
    Sequential Read: 0.396A ??? (test performed 3x)

PNY
    Idle: 0.057A
    Sequential Write: 0.198A
    Sequential read: 0.181A
    TechEkspert
    Editor
    What transfers have these SSDs achieved with these power consumption?
    True_Brujah
    Level 12  
    Sequential Write: 0.488A - 168MB / s
    Sequential read: 0.304A - 252MB / s
    This is an old SATA II drive, so the results should come as no surprise.

SSD PNY CS900 120GB SATA III (6Gbps) - purchased 09.2019
    Sequential Write: 0.160A - 260MB / s
    Sequential read: 0.149A - 370MB / s
    As you can see, a cheap drive for PLN 79 is fine, but it lacks an expensive brand drive.

Samsung 850 EVO SATA III - Purchased at the end of 2015
    Sequential Write: 0.361A - 491MB / s
    Sequential read: 0.396A - 507MB / s