Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X
Elektroda.com
PCBway

Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go.

piotr_go 9357 30
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
  • Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go.
    This time I present a retro-emulator on the Anlogic Chinese FPGA.
    The emulator has 8MB of 32-bit SDRAM embedded in FPGA. For communication with the keyboard, mouse, pad ... corresponds to the JDY-08 wireless module on the CC2541 chip which I programmed my own FW. FPGA configurations are loaded with 16MB flash on the board. The SD card is used to update FW, load ROMs or other applications depending on the configuration loaded. The emulator is compatible with the Logitech Unifying keyboard and mouse. Own pad in the design phase of the housing.
    At the moment I have launched a few test cores, NESa and Amiga (there has been some bug in sprites). Later, I will probably take charge of C64.
    Dimensions 24x40mm emulator.

Emulator:
    Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go. Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go. Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go.

Pad:

Joystick:
    Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go. Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go.

Link

Cool! Ranking DIY
    Can you write similar article? Send message to me and you will get SD card 64GB.
    About Author
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    piotr_go wrote 1692 posts with rating 1715, helped 63 times. Been with us since 2003 year.
  • PCBway
    eMCe2
    Level 12  
    COOL!
    What will be the version to buy then give me a word :) I'll be happy to buy!
    SylwekK
    Level 30  
    Szalejesz Piotr :) Did I get it right, did Amiga start it?
    Slawek K.
    Level 31  
    As always, my colleague sweeps, estimates. ;)

pozdr
  • PCBway
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    High license costs for HDMI + Logitech support from reverse engineering = poor sales opportunities.

SylwekK wrote:
    Did you run the Amiga on it?

Yes. I still have sprites for the patch because there are some differences in the interpretation of the verilog by Tang Dynasty (soft Anlogica).
    sosarek

Level 43  
    Short and to the point - KOZAK !!!
    Something about costs, additional possibilities?
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    sosarek wrote:
    Something about costs

The biggest cost is the time you spend. Tiles + template is about PLN 200 if I remember correctly. FPGA I managed to get some samples because I could not find anywhere else. The radio module is less than $ 2.

sosarek wrote:
    additional possibilities?

Whatever comes to mind.
    Oscilloscope / analyzer, hehe, recently popular topic.
    You can, for example, try your strengths and slings with your own set of instructions to create.
    The main menu is based on a compatible Cortex M0 which I wrote.
    Instead of a radio module, you can plug in some USB sticks and use any peripherals.
    atari_robbo
    Level 24  
    From your project, the most interesting is the FPGA chip with built-in SDRAM memory. Is it some documentation and how does software work?
    sosarek

Level 43  
    Which transmitter you used in the joystick - I see that it has RS232.
    I wonder what emulation eg. PSX or N64 would look like on this one.
    Have you thought about entering the option of scaling to full screen?
    tronics
    Level 37  
    piotr_go wrote:
    High license costs for HDMI + Logitech support from reverse engineering = poor sales opportunities.
    you can give a displayport (royalty free) and if someone wants to connect to the TV, he will buy an adapter for 5 PLN ;)
    drobok
    Level 30  
    Nice project, it's a pity that such a poor availability of these systems.
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    atari_robbo wrote:
    Is it any documentation

In Chinese.

sosarek wrote:
    What kind of transmitter you used in the joystick - I see that it has RS232.

In the new also reprogrammed CC2541 ($ 2 per module, I did not want to solder :) ).
    In old nrf24l01 + slingshot.
    I do not use RSa in them.

sosarek wrote:
    I wonder how emulation eg. PSX or N64 would look like on it.

There is no chance for a small and too slow FPGA.

sosarek wrote:
    Did you think to enter the option to scale to full screen?

NES? There is an option with full extension, not included in the video.

tronics wrote:
    you can give a displayport

Too high minimum bitrate.
    Macosmail
    Level 33  
    Well, I can not pass by indifferently. Concrete project. I would say with a lot of commercial potential.
    What is the performance of the Amiga so reproduced? Is this a version with AGA systems?
    I am still waiting for the Amiga in FPGA with HDMI with a graphics card and a capacity of min. 68060 100MHz for the price of Raspberry Pi. If the owners of rights to Amiga OS 3.1 have already made it available with sources on some free license, there would be a chance for a wider promotion of this system.
    Congratulations.
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    Macosmail wrote:
    What is the performance of the Amiga so reproduced? Is this a version with AGA systems?

600k performance and parameters as of now, but it should fit a better core with AGA and performance 68030 ~ 40MHz.

Macosmail wrote:
    I am still waiting for Amiga in FPGA with HDMI with graphics card and capacity min. 68060 100MHz

Not fast, you need a large FPGA for this.
    leonow32

Level 30  
    The project is impressive !!! However, the most I am wondering why you chose such an FPGA and not some Spartan or something more common? What is the difference in the price of these Chinese FPGAs compared to similar systems from Xilinx or Lattice?

Playing the lost vikings you stole my heart :) I played it about 20 years ago

If you were wondering about the production of this miracle, I would advise you
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    leonow32 wrote:
    However, the most wondering is why did you choose such an FPGA and not some Spartan or something more common?

Integrated SDRAM, small housing not BGA.
    Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go. Pocket retro-emulator on Chinese FPGA by piotr_go.

Link

:)

leonow32 wrote:
    What's the difference in the price of these Chinese FPGAs compared to similar systems from Xilinx or Lattice?

Are there any with SDRAM?
    leonow32

Level 30  
    The Chinese will kill us all at once :) and how is it right? How much does this scalak cost?
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    leonow32 wrote:
    The Chinese will kill us all at once

They will force a drop in prices.

Programmer for procków for 10gr. in preparation, also on Chinese cheap microcontroller. :)

leonow32 wrote:
    How much does this scalak cost?

The BGA version cost less than $ 10, I have not seen it.
    I suspect that the price on the Chinese market is under $ 5 if module you can buy for around PLN 50.
    tmf
    Moderator Design Microcontrollers
    FPGA has been shooting me for a long time. Which software do you use? There are ready environments for these Chinese, or what does it look like?
    Full of admiration for implementing these computers in FPGA - when did you manage to do it? After all, this is the implementation of the processor (half poverty from 6510 from C64, but 68,000, it's not just any), in addition all these Agnes, Denis, Paule, etc. from Amiga, all time dependencies ... How do you start selling I'm the first willing in the queue :) I would love to play some childhood games again.
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    tmf wrote:
    These Chinese are ready environments, or what does it look like?

Soft is called "Tang Dynasty" for them. ~ 150MB, not such a bloatware as Xilinxa or Altery.

tmf wrote:
    Full of admiration for implementing these computers in FPGA - when did you manage to do it?

Only the main and some tests I did entirely myself.
    The rest are modifications of generally available corns that had to be adapted to another FPGA and memory.
    There was a lot of work with it, but less than doing it from scratch.
    If I insisted on this core amiga, I would have finished my own, I already have some done - Lisa and Paul, which I needed for another project.
    atari_robbo
    Level 24  
    piotr_go wrote:
    leonow32 wrote:
    The Chinese people once all wygryzą

They will force a drop in prices.
    Programmer for procków for 10gr. in preparation, also on Chinese cheap microcontroller. :)

In my opinion, they will not force too much - the vast majority of costs when producing FPGA goes to making software. FPGAs are used in niche small-lot applications where price is of secondary importance. Whether FPGA for an ultrasound will cost $ 10 or $ 100 does not matter because it's a fraction of the cost of the entire device. And here the manufacturer's support, transferability, continuity of production and many intangible things count - and the Chitti have a problem with making documentation. And ASIC is used for large-scale products.
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    atari_robbo wrote:
    In my opinion, they will not force too much - the vast majority of FPGA production costs goes to making software.

It's not just about FPGA but all sorts of scalps.
    How it will pay off the producers will translate the documentation. Anyway, you do not need good documentation for everything, often (fatal) googlem translation.
    tronics
    Level 37  
    Quote:
    FPGAs are used in niche small-scale applications

Niche and small series? With a niche, probably agreement, with this smallness, absolutely not. It seems to me that too few devices have a colleague dismantled such far-reaching conclusions.
    Quote:
    bloatware like Xilinxa or Altery.

Only how many generations of different systems support these environments, how many additional tools (which few people use and know what they are) for? :) Something for something.
    John5MM
    Level 19  
    What will the price be with the C64 service version?
    Tommy82
    Level 40  
    And would not it be possible to get the usual keyboard socket? PS2 / USB. It would be more universal.
    All in all a question for what exactly is this keyboard? Is it about wireless?
    piotr_go
    Level 28  
    Tommy82 wrote:
    And it would not give you the usual keyboard socket? PS2 / USB. It would be more universal.

In preparation. It will get some more.

Tommy82 wrote:
    All in all a question for what exactly is this keyboard? It's about wireless?

- Because it's wireless
    - Because I have.
    - Because I worked out pairing, key extraction and decryption.