Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

DIY-A586 v1.6 by piotr_go

piotr_go 25335 138
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
  • pombearman
    Level 9  
    I have a question, have you checked if FFmanager works, if so, what version of flash floppy do you have in gotek? Thanks a lot. greetings
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    I don't use gotek. I checked a few years ago on a borrowed one, but it was with HxC firmware.

From what I can see FFmanager gives a dark blue screen. No bug just hanging.
    The LED from the flop is not on, so the error is probably somewhere else. I can't think of anything.
    Are FFmanager sources available to see what and how?
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Got one of these from Ranko, configured as an Amiga, and I asked if it was possible to change the HDMI output to a typical 4:3 ratio and resolution, like 1280x1024, etc.

I tried a Dell Precision 15" via HDMI/DVI and it displayed "out of range", which suggests the board is outputting 1080p. (FYI, it works on a 31" Asus monitor, no problems)

Also, what is the general process to change the emulation to something like an old-school PC, like some of the videos? Is special programming hardware required?

Thanks for making a great board!
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    You should switch aspect ratio in your TV settings.

In amiga core (ps/2 version) you can switch resolution with "print screen" key.
    (720x576, 640x512, 640x480)
    There is no support for 1080p.
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Hi!

Sorry for the badly worded question. What I meant was how do you switch from the Amiga emulation to the IBM PC emulation? (same question would apply to coin-operated arcade game emulation, etc.)

From what I have read elsewhere, the PC emulation is fairly limited, giving performance of the early 486 era (25MHz). Would the PC emulation emulate VGA graphics at 640x480 (and lower modes?)

With respect to the Amiga monitor modes, I must assume that modern HDMI monitors simply adapt to whatever signal is present and this disguises the actual resolution being displayed. In the case of the older Dell display, it must be a simple issue of it not receiving a signal in the range it requires. The "print screen" key may work, I'll try it...

Thanks again!

Dodano po 7 [godziny] 23 [minuty]:

FYI, only one out of three 4:3 LCD monitors I've tested worked properly with the Amiga configuration ("print screen" had no effect, it adds borders in some cases)

In this image, the Lenovo 15" monitor will display an image, but the "Input signal out of range" message cannot be suppressed. A Dell monitor was blank with the same message and a Viewsonic 17" monitor seemed to work OK.

With respect to the "print screen" resolution chocies, which one is the default and what is the sequence when you press the key? (seems to loop after two presses...)

• piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    EKBubba wrote:
    ("print screen" did not work, adds borders in some cases)

This is what it is supposed to do, the "print screen" truncates the resolution to remove the frames.

EKBubba wrote:
    "Input signal out of range"

Probably the 50Hz refresh is the problem.
    I will try to send the 60Hz NTSC version.

720x576 (default), 640x512, 640x480, 720x576 (default).
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Just a FYI for those that might be trying to use original Amiga floppy drives, or "old" PC 720k drives.

Really old (non 1.44MB) 3.5" floppy drives actually used the +12V power that was part of the original ATX standard. The Amiga 500 uses a full 4-pin cable and supplies 12V on that floppy power pin. My rev. 5 Amiga 500 had a Chinon drive that clearly uses the 12V power and thus will not work on the A586 board, without external 12V power.

The same goes for an original Amiga 1000 drive; it will make "seek" noises when the board tries to access the floppy, but the motor does not turn.

---

Here's a "fix": most older external PC/Mac hard disk drives used a combined 12V/5V power supply, so I just hacked one to supply 12V/5V to the Amiga 1000 floppy and 5V to the A586. Works great!

Big Kudos to Piotr for having the foresight to include a separate power-input jack! :) Hacking a USB-C cable would have been just an extra hassle!

• samowitsch
    Level 2  
    piotr_go wrote:
    Yes. Amiga sources will be released when webpage is ready.

Hi. I am very interested in this project. When is the mentioned webpage ready? thx
  • samowitsch
    Level 2  
    I just ordered pcb's of the DIY-A586. I hope there is no newer version than v1.6 out there ;-)

Quote:

How works the programming of the flash in detail?

I investigated and i think i know now how to flash 8-)
    There must be one initial programming (e.g. CH341A programmer). All follow programmings can be done from sd-card.

Is it based on Minimig Core?
    What i have not found is an amiga.bin file :( Or did I miss that?
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    samowitsch wrote:
    When will the website be ready?

I ended my cooperation with Ranko Rodic, so probably never.
    We agreed on a specific amount, after selling x pieces, I found out that I would not get that much.
    Why? I haven't been able to find out. As you can see, he deleted the account. People are not serious.

samowitsch wrote:
    Hope there is no newer version than v1.6

There is no. :)

samowitsch wrote:
    All subsequent programs can be made from the SD card.

Yes

samowitsch wrote:
    Is it based on the Minimig Core?

Yes

=====================

I just finished soldering the DF0 / 1 splitter on the PIC16F15313 as a motor signal latch.
    I gave the PIC instead of the 74xx because of the dimensions.

DIY-A586 v1.6 by piotr_go DIY-A586 v1.6 by piotr_go

Link
  • samowitsch
    Level 2  
    piotr_go wrote:

F1 - polymer fuse 0.5A
    F2 - ferrite bead (under sd card)
    1N4148

What are the exact footprint sizes and values here?

THX
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    F1 - 0805
    F2 - 0603
    1N4148 - 0603
  • samowitsch
    Level 2  
    piotr_go wrote:
    I ended my collaboration with Ranko Rodic, so probably never.
    We have agreed on a certain amount. After selling x pieces, I found that I don't get that much.
    Why? I couldn't find out. As you can see, he deleted the account. People are not serious.

Yes, that's stupid if it doesn't pay off. What did a complete board or set cost?

piotr_go wrote:
    I just soldered the DF0 / 1 splitter on the PIC16F15313 as a motor signal latch.
    I gave the PIC instead of the 74xx because of the dimensions.

The floppy adapter is really cool! The video is not public and not in your playlist, was that on purpose?

The AS4C4M16SA-5TCN is hard to come by. Do you think that an AS4C4M16SA-6TCN would also work?

Greeting.
  • pombearman
    Level 9  
    Hi
    Extra, I can see that two stations have been launched successfully. I want to ask if you have one redundant PCB or only pcb for resale? Thanks.
    greetings
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    In the end, I got pcb :)
    Initially, the recording did not work. I wasted the whole day looking for mistakes that were not there.
    The tape on which I tightened the flop connectors was to blame.
    Echhhh

I ordered a minimum quantity of PCBs, but I can share.
    I will contact via pm.
  • e2k
    Level 1  
    Where can I get/buy these pcb?

This is a really great project!!!

Thanks!
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer

Link

Doom on RISC-V.
    Software scaling and color indexing, so far no FPS revelation.
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer

Link

I added hardware scaling and color indexing.
    Doom FPS increased to ~ 45.
    There is still sound to be done.

I wrote a simple MP3 player.

I did some tests to determine how much computing power I have at my disposal.
    The MP3 decoder is able to decode a 320kbps file with a duration of 4:05 in a time of 2:05.
    Card read file.