Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

DIY-A586 v1.6 by piotr_go

piotr_go 20733 127
This content has been translated » The original version can be found here
  • pombearman
    Level 8  
    I have a question, have you checked if FFmanager works, if so, what version of flash floppy do you have in gotek? Thanks a lot. greetings
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    I don't use gotek. I checked a few years ago on a borrowed one, but it was with HxC firmware.

From what I can see FFmanager gives a dark blue screen. No bug just hanging.
    The LED from the flop is not on, so the error is probably somewhere else. I can't think of anything.
    Are FFmanager sources available to see what and how?
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Got one of these from Ranko, configured as an Amiga, and I asked if it was possible to change the HDMI output to a typical 4:3 ratio and resolution, like 1280x1024, etc.

I tried a Dell Precision 15" via HDMI/DVI and it displayed "out of range", which suggests the board is outputting 1080p. (FYI, it works on a 31" Asus monitor, no problems)

Also, what is the general process to change the emulation to something like an old-school PC, like some of the videos? Is special programming hardware required?

Thanks for making a great board!
  • piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    You should switch aspect ratio in your TV settings.

In amiga core (ps/2 version) you can switch resolution with "print screen" key.
    (720x576, 640x512, 640x480)
    There is no support for 1080p.
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Hi!

Sorry for the badly worded question. What I meant was how do you switch from the Amiga emulation to the IBM PC emulation? (same question would apply to coin-operated arcade game emulation, etc.)

From what I have read elsewhere, the PC emulation is fairly limited, giving performance of the early 486 era (25MHz). Would the PC emulation emulate VGA graphics at 640x480 (and lower modes?)

With respect to the Amiga monitor modes, I must assume that modern HDMI monitors simply adapt to whatever signal is present and this disguises the actual resolution being displayed. In the case of the older Dell display, it must be a simple issue of it not receiving a signal in the range it requires. The "print screen" key may work, I'll try it...

Thanks again!

Dodano po 7 [godziny] 23 [minuty]:

FYI, only one out of three 4:3 LCD monitors I've tested worked properly with the Amiga configuration ("print screen" had no effect, it adds borders in some cases)

In this image, the Lenovo 15" monitor will display an image, but the "Input signal out of range" message cannot be suppressed. A Dell monitor was blank with the same message and a Viewsonic 17" monitor seemed to work OK.

With respect to the "print screen" resolution chocies, which one is the default and what is the sequence when you press the key? (seems to loop after two presses...)

• piotr_go
    DIY electronics designer
    EKBubba wrote:
    ("print screen" did not work, adds borders in some cases)

This is what it is supposed to do, the "print screen" truncates the resolution to remove the frames.

EKBubba wrote:
    "Input signal out of range"

Probably the 50Hz refresh is the problem.
    I will try to send the 60Hz NTSC version.

720x576 (default), 640x512, 640x480, 720x576 (default).
  • EKBubba
    Level 2  
    Just a FYI for those that might be trying to use original Amiga floppy drives, or "old" PC 720k drives.

Really old (non 1.44MB) 3.5" floppy drives actually used the +12V power that was part of the original ATX standard. The Amiga 500 uses a full 4-pin cable and supplies 12V on that floppy power pin. My rev. 5 Amiga 500 had a Chinon drive that clearly uses the 12V power and thus will not work on the A586 board, without external 12V power.

The same goes for an original Amiga 1000 drive; it will make "seek" noises when the board tries to access the floppy, but the motor does not turn.

---

Here's a "fix": most older external PC/Mac hard disk drives used a combined 12V/5V power supply, so I just hacked one to supply 12V/5V to the Amiga 1000 floppy and 5V to the A586. Works great!

Big Kudos to Piotr for having the foresight to include a separate power-input jack! :) Hacking a USB-C cable would have been just an extra hassle!