Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X
Elektroda.com

CLOUDY BAY 6inch Smart Wifi LED Recessed Lights, RGBCW

justinhunt1223 942 12
  • CLOUDY BAY 6inch Smart Wifi LED Recessed Lights, RGBCW
    I purchased these lights on Amazon. Teardown is simple, remove the 6 screws on the back of the downlight. The board is inside a white heat shrink. Cut along the edge with a razor so that you can simple slide the heat shrink back over the board after you're done.

I removed the WB3S module with a heat gun and stuck it in a DORHEA ESP8266 Code Burner to flash it. You may try flashing it while its installed but it wouldn't work for me with. Flashing while installed does work. My old serial programmer was malfunctioning. I successfully read and flashed it while installed using the DORHEA ESP8266 Code Burner.

Pin configuration:

P6: PWM/5
    P8: PWM/4
    P9: PWM/1
    P24: PWM/2
    P26: PWM/3

After configuring the device and prompting the home assistant discovery, home assistant picked up the device and allowed me to control everything without any further configuration.

The pictures here are of a light that had a catastrophic failure (I quickly assembled it for pictures here). I accidently shorted out a handful of pins on the back on a piece of metal, whoops.

Edit: attached stock firmware.

Cool? Ranking DIY
    About Author
    justinhunt1223
    Level 2  
    justinhunt1223 wrote 4 posts with rating 4. Been with us since 2023 year.
    p.kaczmarek2
    Moderator Smart Home
    Hello, would you be able to provide some more pictures of your device, how it looks like from outside and maybe inside, and if not, maybe some screenshots from the shop offer where it was bought?
    justinhunt1223
    Level 2  
    Pictures uploaded, sorry!
    p.kaczmarek2
    Moderator Smart Home
    No problem. I see you did well with the heatgun, although I think it would be also possible to flash it in place, you just need a reliable 3.3V power supply (not the cheapest one that is on the board of USB to UART converter).
    And of course, never attempt to flash anything connected to mains.

Btw, it's good to see that Home Assistant Discovery is useful. Our team member @iprak did a very good job with that. It's all his work.
    justinhunt1223
    Level 2  
    p.kaczmarek2 wrote:
    ...although I think it would be also possible to flash it in place, you just need a reliable 3.3V power supply (not the cheapest one that is on the board of USB to UART converter).

I have a handful more of these lights to flash and would love to not have to remove these to do it. I will attempt them in the next week and report back. I think my new USB -> serial on the way might work.
    alfakenzo
    Level 5  
    Hi my friend, maybe oyu can provide a stock firmware dump from these device. And then could cloudcutter work on it.
    p.kaczmarek2
    Moderator Smart Home
    Indeed, a factory flash backup can always be useful. That's why our new flash tool (still in Alpha stage) suggests to do automatic backup and then flash:
    https://github.com/openshwprojects/BK7231GUIFlashTool

Backups are always a good practice, not just when it comes to firmware.
    justinhunt1223
    Level 2  
    alfakenzo wrote:
    Hi my friend, maybe oyu can provide a stock firmware dump from these device. And then could cloudcutter work on it.

I added the stock firmware to the original post, thanks for pointing that out. I don't have any experience with cloudcutter so I do not know.
    alfakenzo
    Level 5  
    I don't mean the dump. I mean he should check the GitHub of Cloudcutter to flash it OTA and not to desolder all the spots. But the dump is necessary for the flash, when this firmware wasn't added by now.
    amymariegerlach
    Level 1  
    EDIT - Neverminded, I think i found the directions on this site, they made a video and I am gonna give that a try.

justinhunt1223

Can you better explain the integration into Home Assistant?

I flashed and successfully configured the light in the OpenBK web UI but don't know how to get it into Home Assistant.

I searched device discovery and there is an old integration for that but it seems like it is no longer used or recommended.

Thanks