Elektroda.com
Elektroda.com
X

Search our partners

Find the latest content on electronic components. Datasheets.com
Elektroda.com

Set - DC / DC converter 9A XL4016 and panel meter DSN-VC288, assembly, test

TechEkspert 43170 160
This content has been translated flag-pl » flag-en View the original version here.
  • 1Waldemar
    Level 11  
    Hello, everyone interested in this converter. I have a question for users - I want to build a power supply with two independent systems (sometimes you need a dozen volts at once and a few to power the systems next to it, i.e. two different voltages. I have a 24V 2.5A power supply and the question is whether anyone tried to connect the masses of two independent such same converters from the same power source?
    A bit confusing? - easier. One 24 / 2.5 power supply, two converters set to 5V and the other to 12V - can their masses be shortened?
  • TechEkspert
    Editor
    Looking at the PCB pattern https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3434421.html it looks like the output GND is not directly connected to the input GND (unless there are vias). If there is no continuity between the input and output GND (e.g. there is some measuring resistor) then the output GND of the two inverters cannot be connected to the input GND connected.
  • 1Waldemar
    Level 11  
    Yes, unfortunately there is a measuring resistor for the current in series on the neutral circuit. Somewhere I read that we can, however, lose the current measurement. When building, for example, on LMs, this will not be a problem, but we have no current limitation and protection.

When building on a converter and a transformerless power supply such as laptops, what else would you recommend? what else to add?
    There are those who recommend large capacitors between these modules (1000 micro up), there are those who suggest disconnecting the inverter from the laptop power supply through an additional switch on the panel so that the inverter does not go stupid if it was under load when the system was turned off.
    What do you propose makes sense, what are your practical experiences with such systems?
  • eurotips
    Level 38  
    If we want to obtain 2 regulated voltages from 2 converters, we must have a common ground.
    Now the question is, will we really not have a current limit then? it depends on which masses we connect with each other. If, from the input side, before the shunts, we will really lose the current limitation. But what if we connect the masses from the exit side, behind the shunts? In such a system, we should keep the limitation on both channels, let someone just check if it will work in practice.
  • lukiiiii
    Level 28  
    And the rectifier diodes on the (-) return of both converters?
  • Walery K
    Level 21  
    I plan to do something similar, but I will power each inverter from a separate power supply. Then it should work without any problem. Of course, the masses are connected at the output of the converters.
  • rvh4421
    Level 2  
    Hello all,
    I'm from Belgium and new to this forum.
    Since I'm practising with xl4015 and xl4016 modules last weeks, I found here useful information!
    When using the modules for charging Lithium batteries , the charging works ok but there always remains a 10% charging current at the end witch is not good for Lithium charging, so the process can not be left unattended.
    I found a way to solve this: once the charging led goes on, this is notified (flipflop) and when the "full" blue led signals the completion, the 4015 or 4016 chip is shut down (idle mode - no more output). A blocking diode at the output is needed to prevent reverse current from the battery.
    Only 2 transistors (flipflop) and a 2n7000 mosfet (to block the IC) are needed with a minor modification on the circuit board.
    Is somebody interested for further discussion?
    grts
    rik
    rvh44(malpa)telenet.be
  • TechEkspert
    Editor
    Interesting, the use of the LED signal to complete the charging. Maybe an input relay could be used. You can then add a momentary button "start charging", which will start the relay and the signal from the LED will maintain the operation of the relay. When the LED goes out, the relay will disconnect the power to the entire system.
  • rvh4421
    Level 2  
    Hello TechEkspert,
    Thanks for repluing! I would prefer a sollution without relay if possible. Using the green led for finish signal is a bit tricky: it lights too at startup (to set V or C without load) or with a full battery (load current too small). A secure protocol seems to be: wait for charging (red led goes on) and then wait for the green led to stop everything. I know this could be done with a microcontroller, but I hoped for a solution with minimal hardware, eg a start button (when loading has begun) automatically finished by the green led. Any idea? grts Rik
  • TechEkspert
    Editor
    A MOSFET transistor can be used instead of a relay.
    The start button can polarize the MOSFET gate, after releasing the button, the transistor gate can be polarized from the powered circuit, the signal from the green diode turns off the power to the system by turning off the MOSFET transistor.